Reviewed by Debbie Talbot
We have 2 adorable dogs within our family. They are Pip, a King Charles Spaniel, who is now 2 years old and Willow, a 6-month-old Chorkie puppy. It is true what they say, these much-loved dogs are part of the family, they are our fur babies. My teenage daughter and I are always on the lookout for cool but functional pet products, so were therefore delighted to be offered some PetSafe items to review.
This review is of the PetSafe Digital Two Meal Pet Feeder. We were very excited and could not wait for it to arrive. When it did arrive and in perfect condition, I was delighted to see that minimal packaging had been used. I do like companies who are environmentally conscious. My daughter could not unpack it quickly enough as she wanted to try it out straightaway. She put some dog treats into both bowls and set the digital timers for an hour later. It worked perfectly and soon two delighted dogs were busy chomping on their treats. Whilst we did this because we have 2 dogs, there are actually 2 timers which can be set for different times. It has to be in whole hours though, so you set the timers for how many hours from now you wish the food to be released. If you went to work for 8am, you couldn’t therefore set the timer for 4.5 hours later at 12.30pm. In my view, this is not a problem at all.
The next day, my daughter went off to school and she set the timer for 4 hours later. I was sat downstairs in the living room and watched the lid open and the food being made accessible to Pip and Willow. They really enjoyed their lunchtime treat. I think that the feeder would also be perfect for puppies who need more frequent feeding too. One great thing about it is that the bowls are the perfect size to control the size of the portion of food your dog gets. Whilst we use the feeder for treats, it would also come in handy if we go out for the day and are due back after the dogs usual feeding time. I would say that it’s suitable for dry rather than wet food.
I have had many a pet bowl that has broken or split when trodden on. We have not had this issue at all. It’s actually lovely to not end up standing on pet food. The feeder is made from excellent quality materials and I think it will last years.
Now for the technical info:
- Timer can be set to dispense the food when you want it to be dispensed.
- Capacity of each compartment is 1.5 cups worth of food.
- If using for a single dog (not for 2 like we did) you can programme 2 meal times in up to 99 hours later.
- The LCD display is easy to read and it is accurate.
- The design is very stylish and it does not take up too much room in the home (I have to agree that the design does prevent curious pets breaking into it and getting their food before they are supposed to).
- It is most suitable for cats or dogs that are small to medium in size.
- It’s only meant to be used with dry food.
- You can wash the food trays in the dishwasher.
- It’s manufactured from BPA-free plastic.
- It’s only intended for indoor use.
- It needs 4x alkaline AA batteries which are not included.
One useful tip I want to leave you with is to level out the contents or you could end up jamming the feeder.
I would rate this device 5/5 and if I could I would give it a higher score. It is an excellent way to ensure that you pet is getting meals or treats at the correct times of the day, especially if you are out at work all day.
For more information or to buy visit www.petsafe.net.