Reviewed by Michelle Alexander
Being a self tan addict of another brand, I was a bit sceptical in trying this out as I had never heard of the brand.
OMG…. I did not need to be, this is absolutely fantastic. I am also a beauty therapist that has carried out 100s of tans, so understand quite a bit out the application to how they work.
I carried out some research and it seems that Velvety is an olive tinted tanning range from a brand called Rose & Caramel. It is for those who like a colour guide to their tanning.
It is has an amazing streak-free, skin-softening formula which produces a long-lasting tan.
The foam glides so easily and effortlessly over the skin, making it very easy to apply. As I was applying this, I felt hydration, silk, velvet and luxury. I’m extremely pale and it transformed my pale skin into a golden, luxurious deep, dark colour. I achieved this by applying to layers. To apply more than one layer, you must allow each layer to dry properly.
Like most, if not all self tans, there will be a green undertone. This allows layering to achieve darker results and ensures there is no orange tinge to the results. This is not a transfer free product which means, you will get excess colour rub off onto your clothing or bed sheets but it comes out very easily when washed. Try to avoid white clothing as it will show up more.
We have several layers of skin and the tan works by penetrating the skins layers down to the epidermis layer. The works with the skins natural colouring (menalin), given a deep even tab that lasts 7-10 days.
It is very easy to apply to most parts of the body but I did get a friend to do my back as I am not very flexible.
Personally, I find it best to body scrub your body first before having a shower. In addition, use a body exfoliator and pay particular attention to your knees, elbows, back of you heels, ankles and sides of your feet. Once you have tried off completely, you’re ready to apply the tan.
- Apply a very small amount of barrier cream or moisturiser to your knees, elbows, hands, back of you heels, ankles and sides of your feet. This is helpful if any of these areas are dry, cracked or dehydrated. It allows the tan to work evenly.
- Always use a tanning mitt and apply a small amount of foam to the mitt & apply in circular motions.
- Once again, take particular care around your knees, elbows, back of you heels, ankles and sides of your feet, wrists & knuckles and make sure you buff these areas thoroughly after application with the excess tan on the mitt.
- You only need a little of this self tanning mousse as it goes a long way – make sure you take this in to consideration when applying the product, especially for the first time, always try 1 layer first and then see how dark you go with it.
- Layering of the tan can be done to achieve a darker and deeper colour making it last just that little bit longer. You can layer the product on the same day, just make sure every layer is dry before applying your next coat. If you want to see how the first layer comes out, leave it 24 hrs and if you wish to go darker, just apply another layer.
- Once you have applied your tan, try to wear loose fitting clothes and if you wear a bra, avoid wearing this, otherwise you will end up with marks on your tan from the bra.
- Do not get your skin wet
- Avoid wearing any footwear, again, the can mark the tan and leave streaks
- It usally takes around 8 hours for your tan to develop but for best results, leave over night. As a suggestion, place an old sheet or towel on your bed and cover pillows with the same if you want to avoid getting any of the tan on them. Do not worry if you do as it washes out easily.
- To keep your skin hydrated and ensure a longer, lasting tab, make sure you moisturise. It also boosts the appearance of the tan.
- To keep the tan ongoing, just top it up.
- I always exfoliate around 4-5 days after I’ve applied the tan as this allows the tan to wear off evenly and preps the skin for a top up.
Overall, this is a fabulous self tan product and I must admit, I am now a convert. It holds the colour beautifully and most importantly, there is none of that ‘fake tan smell’
Rose & Caramel Velvety Dark Olive Tanning Mousse (200ml)
Aqua Dihydroxyacetone, Acetamidoe Thoxyethanol, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyethanol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Caprylyl Glyco, Citric Acid, Ci 42090, Ci 19140, Ci 16035, Ci 61570
RRP £20.00 and well worth every penny.
This product can be purchased from the Feel Unique website here.