With as many grandchildren that I have, I am always excited to be able to play games and experiment with them and this is one of them that they loved. They got really excited before we event started as the picture on the box showed what looked like ‘foamy goo’ as one of my grandsons called it. Bless him.
This toy is a great way to introduce experiment with chemistry and science and this offer an amazing 5 science experiments that fizz and what makes this toy even better, is that that you can repeat the experiments over and over again. It allows children to get stuck in using their hands making this ideal for sensory play too. We loved it so much that we are going to be using it for halloween weekend.
The kit contains the following items:-
1 x Experiment Guide – This is very useful, just make sure you do not loose it
1 x 3 Piece Skull Mountain Volcano
1 x Reactor Pod and includes an awesome colour beaker creature that changes colour
1 x Poster
1 x Classification Card
The 5 difference experiments are listed below, we loved then all and in particular, number 1 and 5 were our favourite:-
- Extract Your Beaker Creature
- Slime Brain
- Colour Changing Creature
- Freezing Pint
- Ice Eruption
EXTRACT YOUR BEAKER CREATURE
How to do this experiment
- Make sure you unwrap the reactor pod and put it into the chamber, make sure it’s empty.
- The chamber then needs to be placed into the skull.
- You will need warm water which is to be poured into the chamber and over the pod.
- WOW! This is when the fizzy foams starts to react as it pours through the skull’s eyes and mouth.
- You will need to lift the capsule from the chamber and open it to see the Beaker Creature.
- The classification card will help you to identify which creates it is.
To do this, you will need the following ingredients:-
1. 2 teaspoons of baking soda
2. Quite a few drops of blue food colouring (I used 10)
3. 3/4 of a cup of vinegar
4. Spoon, I found a small teaspoon better to use
How to do this experiment
- Make sure you put the skull on a tray.
- Mix the food colouring and vinegar together. Pour the mix into the chamber inside the skull and stir.
- Put in and stir the baking soda and watch the eruption begin.
You can find more information and instructions on the other experiments by clicking on the link below. It is the same as the experiment guide that cones in the box and is useful to know beforehand so you know what ingredients to buy ready and in time for when you want to experiment.
This is a must for any child and to say the adults had fun with it is an understatement.
You can buy this from Learning Resources for £18.00 and I feel this is very good value for money as it allows you to do 5 different experiments with it. The link to purchase this is as follows:-
Suitable for ages 5+ (but watch the adults enjoy it just as much)