Reviewed by David Savage
Having never heard of Edifier, an award-winning manufacturer of sound systems with a passion for sound, before reviewing their Bric Connect portable multimedia speakers (you can read the review here) I was really impressed by them and I was keen to try out the Luna Eclipse e25 multimedia Bluetooth speakers.
The Luna Eclipse are a set of 2 speakers for use primarily with Bluetooth enabled devices such as tablets, laptops, PC, mobile phones and televisions but does have an auxiliary port for non-Bluetooth devices such as an MP3 player.
On opening the box I was greeted by a sleek and striking set of high gloss black speakers (they are also available in vibrant red). They are very stylish in design and look like a squashed moon, hence the name Luna Eclipse. In the box is also the AC adapter and cables needed to connect the speakers to each other as well as a minimalistic remote control with just 3 buttons (power on/off, volume up and down).
Once plugging in the power and positioning them where I wanted them on the desk I was ready to connect my tablet. There is no complicated configuration needed to connect them, you just enable the Bluetooth on your device (i.e. tablet or phone), scan for devices and then when your device finds the speakers, click pair and connect. That’s it, so very simple. I was now ready to try them out.
Now as I am terrible for NOT reading the manual first as I just want to try things out I never noticed the controls on the side of the speaker. The speakers are curved and sleek and have no push buttons, knobs or dials so I just assumed they were controlled by the mini remote. On the right speaker (the active one where the power plugs in) there are touch sensitive controls so you I just put my finger on the power button icon and the speakers turn on/off, to turn the volume up or down you just put your finger on the relevant icon to control the volume. Where I had the speakers positioned this was awkward to do but there is the remote with the same functions making it much easier.
So off I went trying out different types of music from easy listening to heavy metal and even at high volume there was no distortion and the vocals were always clear, this was the same when watching a film. The sound levels are quite high, maybe not enough for partying but loud enough to listen from another room without annoying the neighbours (power output is 37w per speaker (15w treble and 22w bass).
Overall I am very impressed with these desktop speakers. The not only look great with the Luna Eclipse design and the high gloss finish with the exposed tweeter and driver on the front of each unit but the sound they produce is excellent. They are very easy to set up and control. They are quite heavy at around 1.6kg each so are sturdy. They measure approx. 22 x 12 x 21cm and look great sitting on my desk. With a RRP of £149.99 they are good value for money as they are sturdy, well designed and stylish and the sound is perfect.
– Bluetooth pairing capability with Bluetooth enabled devices
– Capacitive touch sensitive controls for volume, play/pause, previous/next track and standby
– Auxiliary input port for versatile connectivity to external devices
– Incorporation of DSP and DRC for enhanced audio performance and distortion control
– Electronic crossover and dedicated power amplifier to each tweeter and bass drivers
– 3inch bass driver and Ф19mm silk dome tweeter in each speaker
– Dual 3inch passive bass radiators for enhanced bass effect in each speaker
– Remote control for volume and power
– Total power output: RMS 15W x 2 + 22W x 2
– THD + N (testing level): 10%
– Frequency response: R/L: 6.1KHz – 20KHz | SW:30Hz-1.58KHz
– Distortion: ≤0.5%
– Input sensitivity: 600mV±50mV
– Audio input: Bluetooth, Auxiliary
– Adjustment (remote): Volume, power
– Adjustment (unit): Power, volume, Bluetooth disconnect, swipe motion track navigation in Bluetooth mode
– Speaker unit: Tweeter: 19mm | Full range: 3 inch (82mm), Magnetically shielded, 6Ω
– Passive bass radiator: 3 inch (82mm)
– Colours: Available in red and black